Every woman’s worst nightmare is the little streaks or lines which emerge on the skin’s surface called stretch marks. These are formed as a result of stretching of the skin or a sudden loss or gain of a big amount of weight. Stretch marks can occur to anybody but are more common among women because they undergo more changes in the body (for example, being pregnant).
These marks usually appear on the hips, thighs, breasts, lower back, abdomen and the upper arms. You have huge chances of getting stretch marks if your mother has them, because genetics play a big part as stretch marks can be hereditary.
But do not despair, because there are quite a few ways in which you can prevent or lessen their appearance. Here are some useful tips on how to minimize the visibility of these lines.
Constant usage of creams and lotions
- Retin-A cream: According to a recent study from the University of Michigan, retinoic acid cream can do wonders in preventing or lessening the effect of stretch marks. This component increases the collagen production in the skin, which fills the lines and tears in the epidermis. Renova, Retin-A and Tazorac are only a few examples of the big amount of such creams, but they need to be accompanied by a prescription. Another thing you should be careful of while using these creams is the sun exposure which needs to be limited, because skin is more prone to sunburns with these chemicals. You must not use these creams while pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Creams with Glycolic Acid: Unlike retina, glycolic acid can be used while pregnant and it can be bought without a prescription. However, it is highly recommended that you consult a dermatologist before usage to prevent any adverse side effects. This chemical boosts collagen production and betters the elasticity of the skin giving it a more toned look.
- Combination use of retina and glycolic acid
- Lotion and Oil with Vitamin E: Moisturizers, lotions and body oils that include vitamin E are the best for your skin because they moisturize it and keep it young and shiny.
Usage of Natural Products
- Egg whites: Egg whites are famous for being rich in protein which brings elasticity to the skin and boost the collagen production. They are also quite easy to use – you just separate the whites from the yolks and apply the whites on the stretch marks. Massage for 5 minutes, three times a day and then rinse well.
- Lemon Juice: It is believed that the lemon is a cleanser and a skin whitening agent and that the acid found in the juice can lighten your skin and make the marks less visible. You can make a lemon extract scrub by mixing it with sugar granules in order to exfoliate the affected part and remove the dead skin.
- Aloe Vera: The gel of this plant is quite famous while dealing with sunburns and it is also very helpful with getting rid of stretch marks. You can apply the cream on the affected area, leave it for 5-10 minutes and rinse with warm water.
Taking good care of your skin is vital
The best way to get rid of the stretch marks is to not have them at all! So, in order to avoid getting them, you should exercise constantly (to prevent sudden weight loss or gain) so that the muscles get bigger and fill up your body. Furthermore, exercising helps the skin stay elastic without giving it the chance to form any visible and deep streaks or lines.