Let us say you have decided that from tomorrow you will have a balanced diet, weight loss or, in other words, you will start eating healthy. But how do you know what a healthy eating plan is? We will help you and try to define a healthy eating plan.
According to the Dietary Guidelines for USA 2015-2020, a healthy eating plan includes the following:
- lean meats, fish, eggs, beans, poultry and nuts
- big amounts of fruits, vegetables, fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products
- whole grains; it is low in cholesterol, salt, saturated fats and trans fats
- and last but not least, it stays within the boundaries of the daily calories allowed
There is also some psychology about this healthy eating plan which we are quite sure you are familiar with. Remember how “healthy eating” makes your brain think and start craving all the “forbidden” foods?
Our suggested solution is instead of the “forbidden” try and think of all the new tasty foods that you can eat.
- Fresh, Frozen and Canned Fruits – By eating frozen or canned fruits you might actually learn that banana or apple was not actually your favorite fruit. Why not try some exotic fruits like pineapple or a juicy kiwi or a mango? One thing you should be really careful about is that canned fruits might contain added sugars or syrups. Always check on this and choose a fruit packed in the water of its own juice.
- Fresh, Frozen or Canned Vegetables – The best way to eat diversely is to try new flavors. You might find out some herbs taste delicious, for example rosemary. Also, nice and healthy way to cook vegetables is to panfry them in a non-stick pan with a little bit of cooking spray. Frozen and canned vegetables are really easy to make, yet taste delicious. You just microwave and serve. Just like the canned fruits, when buying canned vegetables look for vegetables without added salt, cream souses or butter.
- Calcium-rich foods – We believe that every time someone mentions “dairy products” the first thing that pops to your mind is a glass of fat-free milk. Instead of this, you should start thinking about all the varieties of low-fat or fat-free yogurts which can be a delicious, yet healthy dessert substitute.
- A new way of cooking your favorite dish – Nowadays there are a number of internet sites and magazines for cooking and we are sure that you can find your favorite recipe with a new, healthy twist. Instead of fried fish of breaded chicken, try baking, boiling or grilling. You might be in for a surprise!
Do I have to give up my favorite comfort food
The most common question that pops up whenever someone decides “to go healthy” is should I give up from my favorite food. We say – no way. Why? It is simple. Healthy eating plan is all about balance. You are allowed to enjoy your favorite comfort food but only if that happens once in a while and you balance them with more exercises and healthier foods.
Here are some tips on eating your comfort food:
- Try a low-calorie version of your favorite meal. This means that you should use non-fat milk instead of whole milk, less butter, light cream cheese instead of full-fat one, add fresh tomatoes, cucumbers and so on.
- Another important thing to remember is not to increase the portion size. Eat smaller amounts.
- And of course, eat them less often. You should limit the comfort food to once a week, and then even once a month. You will be thrilled with the results.
The fact is, you can make sense of how to incorporate any food in your healthy eating plan in a way that still helps you lose weight or keep up a healthy weight.